Working my way back into writing

I haven't written in so long that I feel like I've forgotten how! I was so busy, but Baby Anne is sleeping better and I need the creative outlet. Only I can't seem to get started! I don't know whether to jump into something new or revise something old. Either way, I need to get myself back into the swing of things. I've been thinking of revising Blythe by Name since I wrote it so quickly the first time around. But I'm just not sure...

How do you guys break through that dry spell? Where do you look for inspiration, when you just can't seem to get the words to flow?
2 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    For me, after each girl came, my inspiration returned with a short story first, in a different genre than what I usually wrote. I couldn't get back into my LMM or original works, the very thought of them exhausted me. But, and I remember this most clearly after Grace's birth, first I had a nugget of an idea for a Narnia story, then I stared blankly at the computer and tentatively typed and deleted a few opening lines, then I starting writing a few lines that didn't get deleted, and then I stayed up two hours past my usual bedtime (even with a newborn!) to get it all out. It was awesome.

    After that I was slowly able to get back to my other projects, and before I knew it I was back in my old writing groove.

    (I think it might have been Lloyd Alexander after Joy's birth, actually. But it was the same sort of process.)


  2. Unknown Says:

    I don't know. Every time I get through a dry spell, something happens to bring it right back. I AM still hoping to get back into writing, because I want TTTT finished by Pearl Harbor Day. Of course, current life events have popped up again, not that I mind. :)