OK Ladies

I know that two of you watched Downton Abbey last night.  What'd you think?
10 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I really like it. I like the glimpse into life immediately pre-WWI, especially with the Titanic woven in to the plot. I've only watched the first episode so far, but I like how they're setting up everyone's characters, not making everything about them obvious at first, but providing clues as to who they are and what makes them tick.

    I also like the contrast between "upstairs and downstairs," much more believably done than in Gosford Park, if you ask me. That the servants place a higher value on their statuses than the family itself, the embarrassment Lady Mary felt when they were caught in the servants' quarters, the influence Cora's maid had over her .. all very nice contrasts.

    I'm looking forward to watching the rest of Series 1!


  2. Unknown Says:

    I cannot stand O'Brian. There's nothing to like in that woman.

    I like the whole thing with the Titanic, partially because in Comfort and Joy, I have William and Jane's parents perishing on it as well. I see in the family dynamics a lot of what I imagined the family in Comfort and Joy to have.

    As I've been re-imagining everything in my works, I see a lot of how I would like Grandfather Henry to be in Lord Grantham, complete with Labrador by his side at all times.

    Status was everything to so many people before the first war. The hierarchy of the great house's staff was what made for (in ways) a better life for them.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    I do think it's sad, how much of the Earl's life is wrapped around the estate. Yes, it is a symbol of family honor and pride, but it does seem (to this American mind, anyway) like no estate, however noble, old, or grand, ought to take precedence over one's family.


  4. Unknown Says:

    I kind of get it. Generations of a family fought and worked hard to make the estate what it is. It goes beyond just the family, but all of the families dependent upon the estate as well from Daisy the kitchen maid to Carson, not to mention the tenants and such. The economy of the nearby village is largely dependent upon Downton, especially the hospital.

    In many ways, the downfall of the estate would have an affect not unlike if Walmart would go out of business here. OK, maybe not that bad, because that would have worldwide consequences, but regionally it would hurt. I've often told Bart that when it goes out of business, our awesome region will become death valley.


  5. Cath Says:

    I was about 10 minutes into the first episode the other night when the stomach flu hit. So I haven't gotten to it yet. James is making dinner right now, though, and I'm going to try to eat and watch a little. I'll be back here tomorrow!


  6. Cath Says:

    I loved it. It seems to have everything you expect from British novels of that time period (class struggles, homosexual overtones, suffrage, money woes) but it never seems overstuffed. I identified immediately with Bates and cried when he was asked to stay.

    So far I really sympathize with Anna and with Edith. I hope to see more of them. And I HATE O'Brian--what's her relationship to Thomas, did I miss that? Why is she so invested in him?

    I would watch another now, but James is finishing up a late deadline and asked me to wait for him. He likes it, too. :)


  7. Unknown Says:

    I kinda cried when Bates was asked to stay too. That really touched my heart.

    Cathy, I'm glad you're doing better. We've battled the stomach bug here this week too, and it hasn't been fun. I can't imagine being pregnant with it.

    If you think you hate O'Brian, just wait. I'm not sure what she has with Thomas, except for the fact that they're partners in crime.

    As the series progresses, I think you'll sympathize more with Mary than Edith, just MHO. Sybil is pretty neat too.


  8. Anonymous Says:

    I think I'm going to have to re-watch these with Carl sometime. He's definitely picked up on my love for period films/shows.

    I didn't have much sympathy for Edith, but one of my friends pointed out that while she is pretty petty, it has to be hard being the middle sister, especially when so much revolves around the eldest, AND when the eldest is beautiful and charming as well. So while I still don't like her, I can feel sorry for her. (Of course, I'm still only two episodes in, so ... we'll see.)

    With O'Brian and Thomas, I got the impression that they are both the ones who really hate their positions - because O'Brian feels it is beneath her to wait on someone who's not a "real" lady, and Thomas wants to be more than a footman - and they both have a sneering attitude toward life, and so they naturally come together as conspirators.

    I started liking Bates as soon as I realized the actor was the same one who plays Nicholas Higgins in North & South, and I just keep liking him more for himself the more I see!


  9. Unknown Says:

    I have to know when you've all finished watching, so we can pick apart each eppy.


  10. Anonymous Says:

    I only have three left!