Cup of Joy, Finished

Hey, I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally (finally, finally) put up the last chapter of Song of Joy.

This story ended up being a bit of a disappointment to me - I had so much fun starting out with it, but by the time I was done I was sick to death of Jane in all her superior-ness, and just ended up shoving through the final five chapters or so, just to get it done. A lesson in finishing my stories more quickly, I suppose, instead of letting them drag out so long!

At any rate, even though I don't think the final few chapters are as good quality as I am capable of writing, at least they are done, and the story itself is done, and I can go back to just reading about Jane and enjoying her that way. Let's face it, it's much more enjoyable reading about someone growing a backbone and finding her place in the world than writing about that person after she's found herself and is already established!

(And I am still working on The Summer Between, I've just hit a bit of a slump in the plot and am trying to fill in the lag without it looking like fill-in, plus with holidays (and children) writing has taken a back burner. But I'm not sick of Gwen yet, and I hope I never get there!)
4 Responses
  1. Cath Says:

    Yay! I have been slack in my reading because of Christmas craziness, but now that I know I have a nice long read waiting, I'll make time for it.

    I admire you for sticking with your story even though you were necessarily feeling it. That's difficult for me. Rilla My Rilla might forever remain unfinished because I am SO TIRED of Rilla's self-centered silliness.

    I never really liked Jane the best out of LMM's heroines, but I did actually love her in the Meg stories. Her relationship with Bram was romantic and Jane was the perfect match for that character. And I actually like her better in your story than in LMM's original!


  2. Cath Says:

    Erm, it should say "WEREN'T necessarily feeling it" in the comment above. There really needs to be an edit button!


  3. Anonymous Says:

    I know a lot of people (in fact, most people I've ever talked to) don't really like Jane, but I like her simplicity. She doesn't have grand ambitions or big plans, and watching her blossom from the wimp she was with Grandmother into such a strong, humorous, independent individual is fun for me every time.

    I think it was that lack of anything that needed blossoming that made me get sick of her story after a while!


  4. Unknown Says:

    Sorry I've been MIA. Posting online hasn't been something that I've felt up to doing much lately. I totally understand you're getting tired of a character. There's only so much you can do with some.