Word Count

Right now, it's looking like The Summer Between is going to end up at somewhere between 40,000 and 50,000 words, but most likely closer to 40,000 unless I add in a bunch of unnecessary filler. I would really like to have it be closer to "proper" novel length, meaning at least 60,000 words, but I'm not really sure how I can make that work given the story I'm trying to tell.

What do you guys think about WC? Do you aim for a certain amount, or just write until it seems good? And is worrying about this sort of thing just plain silly for fanfiction?
2 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    I like to look at work count once everything is done and sometimes feel a sense of accomplishment of stringing so many words together in order to make something. That said, there are only so many words in every story that is waiting to be told. I just want things to flow together well, and for a story to be complete, mostly though.


  2. Cath Says:

    I think the only time I was really concerned with overall word count was when writing my GWTW fic. It's such a long book that I wanted the "sequel" to match up to that.

    Most of the time, though, I focus on the word count of individual chapters. I like to have them around 1500-2000.