A new "Blythe by" sequel.

I am having so much trouble with Blythe By Nature--I think because I don't know my characters well enough yet to get them through the war years. Blythe By Name is so episodic that I never really got a chance to sink in and explore my character relationships. A few days ago, I started writing a series of vignettes for my own benefit, just to flesh them out a little more. And to my surprise, I started to like the story!

The plot I was toying with was that Jem gets an offer to fill in as an adjunct professor at Harvard Medical School for a year, so he and Faith and the kids have to move to Cambridge. Sally and Walt and Cam and Helen are all in their midteens, and they each have something they are moving toward in their lives that will end up being important if I ever get around to writing another sequel. And they are excited to be able to get to see their summertime chums, the Goldens, year-round.

So I think I will post this story soon; I'm calling it Blythe by Nature, and the second sequel will be Blythe as Always if I ever get to it.

And because she is going to be such a big character in this piece, and the rest of the Blythe by stories, I thought I would post my pic for Sally at this age (14-15) or so. The actress is Mia Wasiskowska, and she looks exactly how I picture Sally to look!


3 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    I like that. It is rather hard at times to get to know characters when we skip ages on them. Especially since characters grow so much in their teen years.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    I LOVE Mia, and I think she's a terrific choice to play Sally. And I like the idea of doing character vignettes for a sequel, too. I'm such a character-driven writer; sometimes I forget that I'm supposed to have a plot to make a story! So I always love reading other people's fleshing-out of characters, too. This sounds like fun!


  3. Cath Says:

    I saw Mia in The Kids Are All Right this past weekend and I fell in love with her. She really is a doll, and I can't wait to see her in Jane Eyre.

    I think that I'll tie the vignettes together in the sequel so they aren't so standalone, but they are definitely the basis for the story! I am working so hard today--but I really want to start writing!