The Sound of the Sea

I am so enjoying Elouise's latest Meg story, The Sound of the Sea, and I hope she won't mind me creating this thread to discuss it, like we used to at the old forum.

Some things in particular I'm digging:
  • The fact that Grey Harbour isn't a typical Avonleaish place, and that Meg and Will are having to struggle to find their footing there. It would be nice if everything for our characters always went perfectly nicely, but there's tension in struggle, and I look forward to great satisfaction when they finally are accepted.
  • The glimpses of other members of the family we got in the first few chapters. Can't wait for them to visit and see the new place, especially Polly!
  • This might sound weird, but I appreciate the fact that you had Will lose his arm, Elouise. To try to explain: I know I tend to give my heroes more picturesque war injuries. But losing an arm is serious, and life-changing, and I like that you show Will struggling with his disability, trying to come to terms with it, because he would, wouldn't he?
Some things I'm looking forward to:
  • Matt coming home (will he ever fall in love?)
  • More Grandmama Irving! I'd like to see Meg stand up to her once and for all!
Great work so far!

3 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    I have to say, I've been anxiously awaiting the next chapter, but I know things have been a little crazy for you lately.

    I find it interesting how Meg isn't really thinking about children, and you know it's going to probably happen sooner or later. The struggle that Will and Meg are going through is very intriguing too. Sometimes there are these little communities where the lives of the inhabitants are so difficult that they just aren't friendly.


  2. Cath Says:

    I like that Meg isn't focusing on children, either. I tend to do too much of that in my stories but I can't help it, probably because I can't wait to do it and I'm living vicariously through my characters.

    BTW Elouise, your enthusiasm has totally inspired me and I have been watching (and loving) all of the 2010 figure skating so far! I haven't missed a routine yet, and James is even getting into it, too. (Which is a miracle).


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Aw, thanks for all the nice things you guys are saying. Feel free to offer any constructive criticism, too! I'm sure there's areas in the story that could use strengthening.

    Re. Polly and others from home: I'm having a really difficult time incorporating them into the story, once Meg and Will have settled. I understand why LMM usually only mentioned visits from Anne's friends in the past tense - somehow it just requires a lot of work to fit old characters into the new setting. I will see what I can do - there's a later chapter that could probably be edited to include a visit with Polly!

    Re. Matt: I have had one particular story arc planned out for Matt ever since I started writing about him and Meg, and even though it's a little over-the-top, I love it, and I love him, and I am really excited (and slightly nervous) to see people's reactions to it!

    Connie, I had to laugh over your skating comment - as I'm sure you could gather from my facebook page, skating is such a family affair for us, and we get so into it. Sometimes I'm a little embarrassed at how passionate I get over it, but mostly I'm just happy I can inspire others to find enjoyment in it, too!