The Road to Yesterday?

I mentioned to Elouise that since I've finished my Cecilia stories I don't know where to go next and that I might write a new series with an entirely different set of third generation characters, from scratch (as another account?) and as soon as I had typed it, inspiration hit. I've been daydreaming about writing a story that follows Faith and Jem and their family, sort of an Eight Cousins kind of set-up. I also want to focus on Faith as a new wife and mother, and her relationship with her own mother, through memories and flashbacks.

But as I was planning things out, I realized that I had used all the possible permutations of names and I've been racking my brain to come up with new ones! Suffice it to say, if I do write this fic, none of the kids will be named after relatives because I've used them all up.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Faith and Jem's kids: Walter (canon), Cameron (I'm making it Faith's mother's maiden name), Cecilia (Sally), and Helen.

Jerry and Nan's kids: Claire and Avery

Rilla and Ken's: Gilbert (canon), Amy, Selwyn, and Rachel.

What do you think? Do they sound appropriately Blythe to you?
4 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I love the names! Especially Selwyn - I used that for a middle name for one of Rilla's boys, and wished I'd thought of it for a first. And I've always thought Avery a beautiful name.

    I'm so excited for this new story, this new direction! Especially to see something of Faith, since she's one who doesn't get covered very often.


  2. Unknown Says:

    I think it's a pretty great idea. It's probably just me, but I somewhat cringe at the thought of a name as beautiful as Cecilia being shortened to Sally. However, knowing how you've already used other versions of that, I understand it.

    Tell me, what gender are Avery and Selwyn, because they're a little androgynous? What are you going to do with Shirley and Di in this?


  3. Cath Says:

    Avery Meredith is a boy, and Selwyn Ford's gender is as yet undecided, haha! I want to make him a boy, but I like Wynnie as a nickname, and that seems rather girlish to me, but if you can have a male Shirley, I guess you can have anything.

    I'm not fond of the Cecilia/Sally thing, either, but it fits her. She's a very tomboyish, field-hockey type. Sally Blythe just seems like the daughter of Faith and Jem.

    In this story, which begins about 1925, neither Di or Shirley are married yet. Di is teaching, and Shirley is dating someone very unexpected, and that is all I'll say!


  4. Anonymous Says:

    It'll take some work for me to think of Avery as a boy's name - I know that's traditional, but I grew up with a girl named Avery, so I always think of it as female!

    I think Wynnie would work for a boy's nickname. I remember watching "Gods and Generals" and hearing his comrades refer to Winfield Hancock as "Old Winnie."

    I'm amazed at the number of nicknames one can pull from Cecilia - Cee, Cece, Lia, Lily, Sally, Sis or Sissy ... it seems a very versatile name!