Every time I start one of these quizzes, the answers that everyone gives only create more questions in my head. So here's some food for thought:

Have you ever read a book and thought that things should have happened differently? I know a lot of people believe that Walter shouldn't have died in RoI, but I'm thinking more about a comment I read about how LM Montgomery finally got her ending right with Anne and Gil getting together where Louisa May Alcott did not. Jo refused Laurie and he ended up marrying Amy. There were times in Little Women where I just thought that Amy should've been the one to die rather than Beth as well.

In literature, what would you have written differently? To you, what seems to totally wrong that you you want to change it?
3 Responses
  1. lovejag Says:

    Laurie and Amy came out of nowhere to me, and I never understood it. As for Walter and Beth's death, they are always the types that get killed in books. The quiet artistically oriented ones almost always are the ones that die. I hate to say it if a character like Walter was written today he probably he would have been written as being gay.


  2. Unknown Says:

    I'm surprised that I haven't come across a fanfic where Walter is gay. That seems to be the only place people can take their minds these days.

    Of course, I was surprised to come across the fanfics where Matthew is gay.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    I for one like LMA's treatment of Jo and Laurie. Although Jo with Laurie seems nice, I think Prof. Bhaer is a better kindred spirit for her, and I somehow find Laurie and Amy's romance my favorite part of LW, even though I don't particularly like Amy.

    The part that I dislike about LW is its treatment of Beth. She just seems so spiritual and so different from others, and besides she did not get much show before falling ill. I think LMM did much better with Matthew, Una, Cecily and Bets in this aspect. I know that having such quiet people die is an awful cliche, but somehow it is more touching this way, although I probably ought not to feel that.

    As for the latter part of Mistress Pat, yes it is really sad and probably too sad to be realistic, but then so is GWTW, and I didn't feel much offended by that when reading both books. I also don't have much problem with Sid's marrying May Binnie, anyway it is unlikely that every family member of LMM heroines are always perfectly honorable, right?