Moments: How I Fell For Carrots

Moments: How I Fell For Carrots
By Rita Widmer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My feet slide across the ground as I walk along the path that leads to my home. I’m angry, sad, confused, and my pride is hurt. I thought girls liked to be teased by boys, but this girl has to be different.

Why should I care? It’s just a girl.

I kick at a stone on the ground, and watch it roll down a slight slope. My headache is down to a low ache now, but I doubt that will take away the pain from knowing I hurt her feelings so badly.

“How’s your head, Gil?”

I look up to see Charlie Sloane walking next to me. “It’s fine,” I tell him grumpily.

“Anne Shirley isn’t like the other girls here.”

I roll my eyes at him. “Do you have a point?”

I watch as a slight smile comes across his face. “It seems this will be one girl you won’t win over with your Blythe charm.”

“She’ll come around, Charlie.”

“Don’t be so sure. I’ve heard she’s really stubborn. You’ve got your work cut ahead of you to win her.”

I finally see my turn off, and decide to leave him with one last shot before heading off to home. “Everyone comes around to my charm.”

I get home, and change my clothes to go do my chores. I keep my mind busy with my chores for the next couple of hours until dinner is ready.

When dinner finally comes, I’ve worked quite an appetite up, and I sit down ready for a good meal only my mother can make. When my mother passes me the vegetables, I lose my appetite as I look at what is in front of me. My favorite vegetable and I don’t want to eat it.

“What’s wrong, darling?”

“I don’t like carrots,” I say with disgust at the thought of eating it.

My mother gives me an odd look, but decides to leave me alone. I won’t ever eat carrots again.

************************************

My feet glide across the ground as I make my way home. There is a grin on my face, and I’m sure the future is going to be great now. I have finally won the girl over to my charm, and I couldn’t feel any more proud then I am right now.

Charlie had been right, she was very stubborn, and the dull ache that had never left me since that day years ago has now vanished.

I still can’t believe this day is here, and I vow that I will do everything I can to keep her in my life. We had talked for almost an hour tonight. There was so much to tell each other, and the smile she graced me as we said good night told me we will be friends.

Maybe some day more.

I reach home, and I get some chores done. My mind all the time is on one subject, Anne Shirley.

My appetite is big tonight, and I head excitedly inside for dinner. I greet my parents as I pull out my mother’s chair.

I watch my mother hand the carrots over to my father totally passing by me which had become a habit since that fateful day I met Anne Shirley.

“Mother, can I have some carrots, please?” I ask her.

“Of course, but I thought you didn’t like them.”

She hands them to me, and I dish some for myself. Just before taking a bite, I tell her, “I love carrots.”
3 Responses
  1. Me Says:

    This is wonderful, I really enjoyed it!!


  2. Unknown Says:

    This is very cute.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    hehehehe i like it a LOT :)