Just wanted to say that I haven't fallen off the face of the earth -- I am reading everything and enjoying it, but have family visiting so I can't do much writing myself. I'm thinking of how to do things in Rilla-my-Rilla! It's about time for Rilla to have her baby, but I don't want it to come too close on the heels of little Walt being born, so I might insert some fluff.

I also have been doing a lot of thinking about my in utero Marilla stories. I've been reading up on PEI history -- according to the Anne books, Marilla was 60 when Anne was 11, and since Anne was born in roughly 1866, Marilla would have been born in about 1815 or so. PEI had only been settled for 100 years at that point, so I'd like to show its development alongside Marilla's. The settlers were mostly French, and I'm thinking about how to use that, as well. I have a few interesting twists -- and can't wait to start writing.

Harbour Light is on hiatus until I think of some new ideas, and I am ashamed of how I've left Anne of the Glen to languish.

I'll write more next week. In the meantime...do it for me!
6 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    At the beginning of Rainbow Valley (around 1907 IMHO), it is said that Marilla is 85, so she should be born around 1822, and should be 55 at the beginning of AoGG. At the beginning of AoGG Matthew was 60, so I find it reasonable to assume that Marilla was a bit younger.


  2. Unknown Says:

    I had always assumed that Matthew was older, but I don't remember for sure. I'll try to do a little research.


  3. Unknown Says:

    Did it ever say that Marilla was 60 in Anne of Green Gables. It mentions several times that Matthew was 60 when they got Anne, but I have yet to see how old Marilla was.


  4. Unknown Says:

    Could it be that Matthew and Marilla were twins? I know it's a stretch, but you know how Anne felt that twins were her destiny. It would be interesting....


  5. lovejag Says:

    Marilla to me had always seem to be the protecter, leader in the house which in traditional sense of family dynamics that usually falls to the oldest sibling. Though she may have had to, because Matthew's personality isn't one of leadership. He's more of a follower, and prefers it that way.

    I've always liked Matthew more than Marilla, because we have some very similar personality traits except for in one major area I'm not as shy as he was.


  6. Anonymous Says:

    oh, ruby, i can't wait for a marilla story from you! :) i also can't wait for any of your updates. they always make my day :)