Happy Endings Question

L. M. Montgomery's stories invariably end happily. Do you find the endings to her stories contrived? Do you think she gave in to audience pressures by writing her tales to please them? What alternate endings can you envision for her writings?

This is a question that I lifted from http://www.tickledorange.com/LMM/Questions.html
because I thought we could use a new question for a new week, and my mind couldn't think of one at this time. It is one that I find very interesting and wonder how all of you feel as well.
1 Response
  1. Unknown Says:

    I agree. They are realistic happy endings. Some are very bittersweet. "Anne of Green Gables" ends so soon after the death of Matthew. Anne had to put off college in order to help Marilla. She had some disappointments in some ways, but she still looked forward to the future, AND she made friends with Gilbert.

    In Rilla, we are happy that Ken came back to Rilla, Jem returned, and generally happy that the war was over and won. However, we to have the prevading sadness of Walter's death, and all of the other pains that the war brought.

    Anne's House of Dreams actually ends on a little note of sadness at their leaving the House of Dreams for Ingleside.

    Of course, part of the reason I love Montgomery's works is because of their happy endings. I like to escape when I read, and I'm not found of things that end on an overly depressing note. That's why I'm not a fan of Hemmingway. His books just make me feel horrible. I prefer not fantastically happy endings, but like Ruby said, happy endings that are earned.