Discontented

I'm a perfectionist, and sometimes this serves me very ill. For instance, I am sort of dissatisfied with The Harbour Light. It's very Anne of Inglesidian to me: all vignettes with no overarching theme. The Blythes and Merediths are younger-acting than I wanted them to be. It's hard to focus on so many characters. I kind of wish I could start over but I feel so invested in it and so many people have said nice things to me about it that I feel it wouldn't be right.

This isn't a fishing expedition, but I'd like to know what you think. Should I start over? Or should I finish this one up and then start on a followup one focusing on one character, like Faith or Nan or Di during their first years at university?

I'm starting to realize WHY LMM left so many people out of RoI! It's hard to write about the exploits of so many different people and include them all!
2 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    Hmm. I don't really know. I love the ff, but if you're dissatisfied with it, you should do what you as the artist feels best. You are an artist, and you have painted a beautiful picture, but if you wanted to scrap it and do it all over again, I am sure that you would make it even better. If it has you totally stumped, then do what you know in your heart is best.

    I'm not trying to cop out and not say one thing or another, but it isn't really my place. I'll probably love it any way you decide.


  2. Me Says:

    I understand how hard and frustrating it can be. I enjoy "The Harbour Light" very much but I wouldn't feel badly if you decided to rewrite it. After all, it is your baby and if you aren't satisfied with it then it might start to show in your writing and then you would really become frustrated. :) I do hope it all goes well for you.