Mrs. Miniver

I watched this wonderful old movie this weekend, bit by bit, when Bart was upstairs grading papers and such.  I just love it so much for it's portrayal of how things were in the early days of WWII.  Then I remembered that I own a very old copy of the book.  The book is of course very different than the movie.  It starts much earlier.

Also, since I sort of have a phobia of old books, (they're nice to decorate with, but I like new books with only my germs LOL) I found it online to read.  It's such a quick read and so short, that I want to finish it before I progress any more with TTTT.  It shouldn't take me too long.


PS , I'm just now to the part where they get their gas masks.
6 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    OK. It's nothing like the movie, really. For once, I actually prefer the movie. Maybe because it's more melodramatic. I don't know. Anyway...


  2. Anonymous Says:

    I think my mother has a copy of this book; I'll have to ask her to bring it down with her next time she comes. I've never seen the movie, but anything about WWII fascinates me!


  3. Unknown Says:

    I finished it at work. It's not very WWII-y after all. Like I said, it's nothing like the movie.


  4. Cath Says:

    Oh, I love it! I'm reading a collection of stories called "Good Evening, Mrs. Craven" by Mollie Panter-Downs, right now, and it is VERY Mrs. Minivery, more so than Mrs. Miniver the book is.

    (Adrienne, will you write a mini-review of Mrs. Miniver for Constance Reader? I am doing a new feature where my friends send me a few sentences about what they're reading and I post them in one long entry, for the fun of it. Just two or three sentences giving a general gist of the book and your feelings would be awesome! Elouise: I'd love for you to send me one, too!)


  5. Unknown Says:

    I have to admit that I just scanned a lot of it. I'll have to give it a once over before I do any reviewing. Maybe I shall tomorrow. I need to visit my pal Hope tonight.