The Meaning of Redmond

I'm searching for names and meanings of names and I thought I'd check out some Irish names. As I was scrolling down in search of another name, I came across Redmond. So, it told me it was the "Anglicized form of RÉAMANN" which is the "Irish form of RAYMOND." Clicking on Raymond, I found out that Redmond is the "Germanic name Reginmund, composed of the elements ragin "advice" and mund "protector". This was the name of several (mostly Spanish) saints, including Saint Raymond Nonnatus, the patron of midwives and expectant mothers, and Saint Raymond of Peñafort, the patron of canonists."

So, in layman's terms, it means "advice" and "protector." I wonder if Maud knew that or not when she wrote AotI. Hmm. . .sounds like a good name for a college, huh?
3 Responses
  1. I just love little nuggets of interesting facts like this.


  2. Elouise82 Says:

    Fascinating! Names are always so interesting and important.


  3. Beatle Chic Says:

    I guess it goes back to what Shakespeare said: "What's in a name? A rose by any other name wouldn't spell so sweet." Or something like that. I love learning little trivial things like that too; it's "more scope for the imagination." ;)