The Omnipitent Condition of Writer's Block

Writer's block is really the devil incarnate. I have three fics I've been working on that just won't finish themselves. (One on Shirley, one on Una, and one Harry/Ginny.) It makes one believe that hitting one's head against a wall might actually do some good.

Most people always hated that Anne didn't become a true writer (including Mr. Kevin Sullivan. Grrrr.) Personally, Gilbert and her faimly always seemed like a more wonderful future than just writing to me. But now I wonder.

I mean, though, how must Anne have felt when she realized that there was a scope of writing she simplt couldn't do? Would love and family make up for that disapointed dream? Would a realization that self-happiness is more important than dream-fullfulment have taken place?

Am I making any sense?

Bah humbug upon words that just won't write themselves.

:: Tries to swat invisible writer's block. Gives up. ::
3 Responses
  1. geeruby Says:

    I personally think it was Anne who gave up on writing, not the other way around. In Anne of Ingleside, to Christine Stuart: "I'm writing living epistles now," said Anne, thinking of Jem and Co.

    That, to me, suggests that she finds raising her children a more than fair trade off for the writing career that she never had, and more worthwhile.


  2. I agree with Ruby. In my opinion, people who don't understand much more than career, money, and greed can't ever understand Anne's being content as a wife and mother in a loving, healthy family.

    I've read somewhere where people say that Anne was often irritated and unhappy in her later life. Did they take that from those few chapters at the end of AoI? Seriously, I never see anything more than what every wife and mother must feel sometimes, whether they have a career or not.


  3. geeruby Says:

    There's also a part in AoAvonlea where Anne writes a story while stranded on the Tory Road at the Copp Place, and Diana tells her to publish it. "Oh, no," Anne says. "It's just a pretty story."

    I don't know where people get the idea that Anne wanted to be a writer. LMM actually wrote a book about a girl who wanted to be a writer and it was pretty clear how much Anne didn't, in comparison (to Emily). Anne wanted to teach, and after Anne of the Island, to marry Gilbert. Anne is set a decade or so at least before Emily, and in the Emily books, a woman having a career was a very new thing. Anne must have known when she accepted Gilbert that she would be his wife and the mother to his children and not a writer, and at the end of AoI she seems quite contented with that: "I don't want sunbursts or marble halls -- I just want YOU." I think that says it all.