Not Satisfied

Have any of you ever wrote a chapter where you have things you want to happen in it happen, spent a lot of time writing and editing it, but still feel it's not up to par? I'm having this very problem with my next chapter for Modern Day Romance and it's bothering me. I'd like to post it, but this nagging feeling keeps me from doing so. I even have the chapter that follows this one written, and am currently working on the one that follows that one, but I just feel like something's missing or something's not quite right with this chapter and I can't figure out what. I've taken time away from it and gone back and looked at it, but I still have this weird feeling it could be better. Any advice on how to remedy this?
9 Responses
  1. I'm sorry that I don't have a rememdy. Often times I think that there are just chapters that we as our harshest critics don't like, but many people still do.

    My biggest problem is that no matter which fic I'm working on, I can think of things to write for one of my otherss.


  2. geeruby Says:

    I usually sleep on it, and then go back to it in the morning. Almost always my brain has figured out how to "fix" whatever's wrong.


  3. lovejag Says:

    You can always send it to someone to read it over and get their opinion on if they felt something was missing or it was good the way it is.


  4. iffie21 Says:

    That's what I would do. I am so glad that I have Ruby now!(for beta reading that is)


  5. geeruby Says:

    It's mutual, Ingrid! Trust me. :)


  6. DylanLeeLo Says:

    I have this bike path that I discovered that goes through the woods and whenever I am unhappy with something I wrote, or I am stumpted, I just go for a ride.


  7. Green tea. And then reading poetry or something very inspiring to get your no longer mired in what you've written, but what you want it to be. (God, that sounds crappy. Sorry.)

    Good luck! I'll send inspiration vibes, if that helps!


  8. Beatle Chic Says:

    lol! Thanks! I think the vibes must have helped b/c I read over the chapter (which I hadn't looked at in over 2-3 weeks) and made some minute changes. I think those changes will help. I plan to go over it again tomorrow afternoon since it's so hot here. (Temps are in the upper 90s w/ a heat index of 105-110. . .geez I hate St. Louis weather!) Anyway, thanks for all the advice. I hope to have something posted soon!


  9. iffie21 Says:

    good! I am looking forward to it, I'm having my own troubles myself!