Muse or Inspiration

Okay, a question I've been pondering on whether to ask or not, but I just decided what the heck, why not. Anyway. . .

When you write, what's your muse or inspiration? Or in other words, what helps you get your creative juices a-flowing?

I've found, for me lately, driving in my car listening to Coldplay's X & Y album and Sugar Ray's Greatest Hits album inspiring. I get all these ideas, but I can't seem to write them down fast enough when I get home. (Good thing I have a good memory I suppose.) So, I know music is my muse/inspiration/creative juices flower. What's everyone else's?
3 Responses
  1. geeruby Says:

    I don't know if this counts, but I get my best ideas when I'm lying in bed, waiting to fall asleep. I have a splendid half-hour of imagining things, as Anne says in RoI. Before I go to sleep, I think of my story for a bit, and when I wake up my subconscious has figured out how to put it all together!


  2. Oh, I'm constantly thinking about my stories. Ideas pop in my head all the time - I'm just not always in a position to stop everything and run with those ideas.

    Sometimes a song or something that I've read or seen on tv or on a movie will inspire me. Sometimes all I have to do is look outside and be inspired.

    If I'm indoors, I need to have the blinds on the windows open as much as possible. Being in a dark or artificially lighted room in the middle of the day.

    I've learned that it doesn't do to have much music playing while I write. I don't seem to get into the mood of writing a period piece when modern day music is in the background. I guess I'm a pretty fickle write.


  3. I just realized that I posted an incomplete thought.

    As I started to say before, if I'm indoors, I need to have the blinds on the windows open as much as possible. Being in a dark or artificially lighted room in the middle of the day seems to stifle my mood a great deal.