The more you know...

I was looking for a Mother Goose Rhyme to use for my new chapter of Child of Idlewild and I came across one that started with:
I saw a ship a-sailing,
A-sailing on the sea;
And, oh! it was all laden
With pretty, things for thee!

I was like wow! I've heard that before, Anne sung it to her children in Anne of Ingleside I do believe. And it goes on to say:
There were comfits in the cabin,
And apples in the hold;
The sails were made of silk,
And the masts were made of gold.
The four-and-twenty sailors
That stood between the decks,

I thought that the second part was not as nice as the first part but whatev...I read on:
Were four-and-twenty white mice
With chains about their necks.
The captain was a duck,
With a packet on his back;
And when the ship began to move,
The captain said, "Quack! Quack!"

Whoa hold up! I don't know about you guys, but I always pictured Anne trilling off a sweet little lullaby in a clear voice for her children. Little did I know, Anne would go on to sing about twenty white mice and duck captains. I just thought it was interesting.
2 Responses
  1. iffie21 Says:

    That is funny, you know in the same book, or in Rainbow Valley, Gilbert says , "The Time has come the walrus said.." anyways if you actually read that whole poem its awful! They trick these oysters into going for a walk and then they eat them! Lots of those things that they recite aren't exactly the nicest.


  2. maybe she just recited the nice portion. :)